Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Return to the Kalalau Trail



During my trip to Kauai I did the usual trip down the first two miles of the Kalalau trail, which runs from the end of the road beyond Haena 11 miles along one of the world's most spectacular coastlines, pictured here. Doing the whole trail is an epic hike...11 miles one way with about 2500 feet elevation gain and loss...and then you have to hike back! In the early '80s, I backpacked this trail three times, for three days each time. Back then, 25 years and 50 pounds ago, with a full pack, the 11 mile hike was a major workout but I made it OK. But now, just the four mile round trip with a daypack to Hanakapiai, with about 1000 feet elevation gain and loss, is an ordeal. The old sloat's flippers were draggin' big time when I got back to my car.




I've always liked this view on the trail of the deep blue sea hundreds of feet below, with the lush green vegetation on the hillside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home