Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Elephant Sloat!


Couldn't wind up the trip without visiting my counterparts, the Elephant sloats at Pt Piedras Blancas. This is a big ol' bull sloat, coming ashore to lay claim to his harem of sheila sloats. The bulls establish position during December. In January the females give birth to pups conceived the previous winter, and in February the bulls who have won harems mate with the females: then everyone goes back out to sea, starting the cycle for the following winter. The action is just starting; it's very interesting to watch the sloats from now thru February. Go down and check 'em out!
I have finally returned from my trip...got back the afternoon of the 5th. A few stats...
Days on the road...82
Miles traveled...13,814
States visited....29
States visited overnight...21
States hiked in...17
National parks, monuments, battlefields, historical sites seen...at least 12
Days with snow...2
Days with thunderstorms...zero!
Tickets received...zero. Made some mistakes here and there but never got caught.
Cell phones wrecked by dropping in swamp...1
Digital cameras wrecked by dropping on pavement...1
Total fine for being a klutz...about $500...had to replace 'em!
It was a wonderful trip, the culmination of a dream I'd had for thirty years. And it seemed natural...I love being on the road! A stop of three days or so was always enough rest; then I was ready to roll again. I'll be home for awhile now, but next year I'll be back out on the highway. I am planning to drive up to Canada in June and explore...might wind up in Alaska.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home