Monday, December 04, 2006

Meteor Crater


The blog site has apparently corrected the earlier problem and I can once again post pix to the blog. I'm a ways behind. This is a shot of Meteor Crater between Flagstaff and Winslow, Az. It's quite impressive...about a mile across and 550 feet deep. It looks like a volcanic crater with the walls rising above the surrounding plain similar to Crater Lake...and originally it was attributed to volcanic action. But no...it was caused by a meteor slamming into the ground about 50 thousand years ago. Quite a shock, I reckon. I forget how large the original meteor was estimated to be, but it was perhaps the size of a house...Wikipedia doesn't say.

1 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger Duane said...

Hey Steve!

I was curious about the size of the object that created the impact crater in AZ. I found an article on "space.com" which states, "The big hole in the ground -- 570 feet deep and 4,100 feet (1.25 kilometers) across -- was blown into existence 50,000 years ago by an asteroid roughly 130 feet (40 meters) wide."

Thanks for taking the time to post your photos and writings as you travel across the country and back. I've thoroughly enjoyed the "wanderings of an old sloat."

Duane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home