Monday, October 09, 2006

New England Sunsets



Although the East Coast by definition is more of a sunrise coast, if you access the right topography you can also see some marvelous sunsets (The Aussies might call them ripper! or beaut! Here are a couple examples. I stayed at a place in East Boothbay, Maine, that was built out over the water (at high tide...11 foot tidal difference at the full moon. The shot from there is the one with the boat. This was in a very tranquil location, miles from even the nearest secondary highway. At dusk it was absolutely peaceful.

The shot with the rock was taken from the deck of my friends' Rhonda and Al's extremely fine home on the east shore of Naragansett Bay in Rhode Island. The rock is about 100 feet offshore and serves as a fine tide indicator. At high tide it's barely underwater; at low tide it's well out of the water and the cormorants hang out on it. Sunsets are sublime here too. There is a lighthouse in the middle of the bay; boats cruise past; otherwise it's very quiet. Al grilled not just steak, not just chicken, not just salmon last night...but all three! An absolute first rate feast. Rhonda and Al are both veteran fitness professionals, and they're good influences on me. For two days, I ate NO CHIPS of any kind...and didn't even miss them! I think I'm losing weight. On Saturday Rhonda hiked me into the dirt and then some...just like she used to do when she was my aerobics instructor at San Mateo in the '90s...but it's good for me. (as long as I do nothing tonight and recover!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home