Sunday, January 13, 2019

Back in Oz

After a pleasant layover in New Zealand, I continued on to Brisbane.  I stayed for three days on Bribie Island, about 40 km to the north, and had a nice apartment right on the beach.  Here's the sunrise, coming up over Moreton Island.

Inland from Bribie and the Sunshine Coast are the Glass House Mountains, ancient volcanic plugs rising out of the rainforest.

I proceeded on to Noosa...a favorite spot since 1985.  This is the beach at Tea Tree Bay, in Noosa National Park.  

Looking back in the other direction along the coastal trail, toward Noosa Heads and the main beach. The water is always a gorgeous turquoise color here.

My friends and I went exploring in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, home to exotic plants and birds.

A swimming hole in the bush, maybe 50 km inland from the coast.

Now I've traveled about 300 kilometers south, to Byron Bay.  This is Tallow Beach, another of my old hangouts.  In fact, I reckon this is my favorite beach in all the world.  This picture is taken from...
The lighthouse at Cape Byron.  This is the easternmost point on the Australian mainland.

Later in the day, the clouds start billowing.  Thunderstorms and heavy rain followed.  I experienced thunderstorms on four days during the trip...three in Oz and one in NZ.  After a rainless summer and early fall in Cali, the rain was welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home