Sunday, January 13, 2019

A Green and Pleasant Land

Last November I traveled to New Zealand.  I stayed at two very pleasant vacation rentals on the North Island, the first actually on Waiheke Island, near Auckland but rather quiet, since access is only by ferry or plane. On the island I came upon this huge pohutukawa tree, hundreds of years old.  It's been a Maori meeting place for a long time.

Waiheke has a blend of vacation homes, beaches, and forest.  On weekends it's busy with holidaying Aucklanders, but during the week it's much quieter.

Rangitoa Island from the ferry, heading back to Auckland.

Auckland CBD from the ferry.

After my island visit, I drove across the Coromandel peninsula to Hahei.  I had been here in 2000 and loved it.  Didn't stay overnight, but always wanted to.  I finally made it, 18 years later.  This is the view from my rental house.  I had very friendly hosts both on Waiheke and in Hahei.  Of all the places I've been, New Zealand's people are the friendliest. They're relaxed, down to earth, welcoming, and unpretentious.

I had a fair amount of rain while in Hahei, but...no problem.  It's a beautiful place no matter what the weather is doing.

At times, rain obscured the bay.

On the first Hahei picture (the sunny one) you can see a headland on the right edge of the scene.  I hiked up there and got an awesome view of the town beach.

The drive back to Auckland across the Coromandel featured blue skies, sunshine, an azure sea, and verdant countryside.  It is most pleasant in Kiwiland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home