Friday, August 27, 2010

I've been visiting Bryce Canyon for the past two days. The place is so visually stunning that anyone can take a slug of great pictures. I'll be posting them for a while, but here's a start...I went to Bryce Point last night at sunset to get this shot of hoodoos mingled with forest.
The last rays of sunlight illuminate the hills.

The colors and landforms at Bryce are unbelievable. The former are caused by various minerals in the rock...the landforms are due to erosion caused by wind, rain, and especially freezing and thawing, which occurs on about half the days of the year here.

I hiked down into the canyon today, and came up on Wall Street, an almost unique trail that runs through a narrow cleft in the redrock that, amazingly, is dotted with Douglas Firs! The only other place I've seen, or heard, of this phenomenon is in Zion.

At the far southern end of the park, I took the Bristlecone Pine trail from Rainbow Point. I found this ultra gnarly tree, perched on the edge of the outcrop, under glowering skies. It was just awesome here. More posts in future days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home