Saturday, August 15, 2009

Hangin' in the YVR



I did a full day of exploration in Vancouver today. Went for three long walks...the old flippers are draggin' but not too much...I think I'm getting just a bit of conditioning going after hiking almost every day for a week! I started by going into Stanley Park and visiting the Aquarium, which is world class. There are a vast variety of marine critters, from piranhas to belugas to sea otters. Among the more photogenic are the jellyfish.


Here's one of the belugas. I think this is the first time I've ever seen one! One of the whales just had a baby...and yes, you can buy a furry baby beluga in the gift shop. So cute. No, I didn't get one. But it's cool that a baby was born at the aquarium.


I came back to the hotel and rested the flippers for an hour, then walked across the Burrard Bridge to the Kitsilano district, where a street fair commemorating the 40th anniversary of Woodstock was underway. This band was doing a good cover of many of the Doors' hits. The lead singer couldn't quite scream at as high a pitch as Jim Morrison, but sounded like him otherwise; and the lead guitarist was great! Up the street a few blocks another band was covering Neil Young in even better fashion. We all sang along to Rockin' in the Free World...cool!


After an excellent Indian dinner...there are three Indian restaurants on the block across the street from the hotel, all with takeaway...I headed down to English Bay for the sunset. It's kind of a ritual...there are musicians, drummers, and lots of people of all ages chillin' out. The dawgs like it too.


Twilight lingers for a long time at this northern latitude...just south of the 50th parallel. By setting my camera on my balcony railing I got this sunset shot a full half hour after the sun actually dropped below the horizon. Y'know, I have thought for many decades that Vancouver would be an excellent place to spend the summer! The city hums with cosmopolitan energy; the arts thrive here; grazing is superb. And the hinterland...up toward Whistler, east to the Okanagan, west to Vancouver Island...has unlimited outdoor recreation. And it's all gorgeous! It would sure be neat to get a fine apartment in the West End...or in Kitsilano...for a month or two in summer some year. Don't be surprised if I do it sometime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home