Monday, August 03, 2009

Seattle Sojourn




Yesterday I spent the afternoon in Seattle. I'm staying with friends in Puyallup, and they have friends who live in the Capitol Hill district in Seattle. They have a cool old house with a fine green yard and two neat dogs, and own and operate a bar right across the street from their house. Talk about a nice commute! I and my ol' college roommate Dick did a street hike thru the 'hood and found this sequoia a few blocks away.


There's a great variety of trees in the neighborhood. A few yards from the sequoia I found...a palm tree! It certainly wasn't having any trouble on this day...it was about 90 degrees.



The homes in Capitol Hill are mostly nice, and very eclectic. They were mostly constructed in the 1920s, and come in all styles from Tudor to Queen Anne. I love the places like this one with a large wraparound porch.



This is a repeat of a picture I took almost 40 years ago while I was in college at the University of Washington. It remains cool to check out the Space Needle thru the donut sculpture. By the way, while we were street hiking we were treated to frequent flyovers by the Blue Angels, who were in town for Seafair. After the hike we retired to our friends' bar and sampled beers while watching the hydroplane races on TV. It was a really nice afternoon all round. I have somewhat neglected Seattle since graduating in 1973. I get there every five years or so, but that is not nearly enough. I need to visit every year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home