Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Crisp Winter day at Point Lobos




Today I went hiking at Point Lobos State Reserve, just south of Monterey. It was a great California coast winter day...crisp and sparkling clear, with a balmy sun and a chilly breeze. Very invigorating! On such days, the seascapes are sharply defined, and the light, with the low winter sun, is superb. I try to get to the coast whenever I can on such days...it's wonderful!





One of the few natural Monterey Cypress forests in the world grows on the reserve. The gnarly, weathered trees, full of character, are artists' magnets. It's easy to see why. I may have mentioned this before, but I have always compared the delicate beauty of the Monterey peninsula to a Chinese silk screen. The beauty is proportional, with sea, sky, and land all playing equal parts. It's not jaw dropping spectacular like Yosemite, the Canadian Rockies, or the Grand Canyon, but it's just as pretty.


This is China Cove, a gorgeous inlet on the reserve. The bluish green water looks tropical. A beautiful, peaceful spot. Today, several people had easels and palettes set up on the trail overlooking the cove, capturing it on canvas. Can't think of a better spot to paint. Wish I could...I can write a bit, take photographs, and play power chords on the electric guitar, but I can't paint or draw a lick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home