Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Olympic Coast






I traveled north to Olympic National Park. This is a diverse place with beaches, alpine wilderness, and lush temperate rain forest. The common denominator is wildness. This is an isolated, cool, damp northern place, subject to winter gales, summer fogs, and downpours year round except in midsummer. Massive logs wash up on the beach after being torn out of the forest by swollen rivers, huge surf, or hurricane force winds. It's untamed, elemental, and very beautiful.


The Hoh rain forest receives 140 inches of rain a year...on average. The temperature is almost always between 30 and 80 degrees. Everything grows...and grows...and grows. Any structure left unattended is rapidly swallowed by vegetation. Blow up the pic of this shed, still in good condition, and you'll notice a tree growing out of the thick carpet of moss on the roof.








I stayed in a cabin at Kalaloch Lodge, a resort at the confluence of the creek of the same name and the ocean. I had wanted to stay here since I drove by while in college, over 30 years ago. It proved to be as good as anticipated. From my cozy cabin I watched the surf, followed the tides, rode out hailstorms and squalls, and immersed myself in the seascape. The lodge had a gourmet restaurant and friendly service...highly recommended! This is a sunset pic taken from right in front of my cabin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home