Friday, November 13, 2015

Hana Hiatus

After eleven days in Napili, my friends headed back to the mainland and I took the jaunt to Hana.  Enroute, I passed Ho'okipa Beach, one of the planet's foremost surfing spots...both board and wind.  The surf and wind were about average on this day...that is to say strong but not humongous...and the surfies were out in force, putting on a show.

The surf pounded the north shore of Maui all the way to Hana.  Here at Keanae, a little village off the highway, it was particularly dynamic.  I should add that just a few hundred yards from this spot is a stand that sells EXCELLENT banana bread!

Closer to Hana, I stopped at a wayside.  This kittykat promptly hopped up on my hood and made himself at home until I started to leave the carpark.  Then he got a panicked look in his eyes and bailed off my slowly moving vehicle.

Hanawi Falls, at mile marker 24 on the Hana highway.  The waterfalls were cranking quite robustly as there has been a lot of rain lately.

I finally arrived at Koali Cottage, five miles south of Hana town.  This is the view from my lanai.  Quite a change from Napili.

The morning sun brightens the sea after a showery night.

Black sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park, just north of Hana.

Two blowholes at Waianapanapa.

Ocean was rockin' and rollin'!  This area had a lava flow about 500 years ago, and there is still a lot of black a'a providing a fine contrast with the sea.

Hala trees frame the surf.

A heiau near Waianapanapa.

Lava rock looking finely surreal close up.

Massive waves crash against the lava.

I got a video to load!  Check out the rowdy surf.

I set up at this spot under a pandanus tree for awhile and just read and enjoyed the surf.  This wave is splashing at least 25 feet into the sky.

Back on the home front, mynahs keep the horses company...and pick off any bugs that might land on the steeds.  Very quiet here at Koali Ranch.  No cell service, but the internet is good.  Chuck, who owns the house, lives next door with his congenial yellow lab Max.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home