Saturday, July 19, 2014

Coastal Ramblings

A couple weeks ago I went on a whale watching cruise out of Monterey with my friends Suzanne and Jeff.  It was neat to get out on the water.  A fishing boat was also putting out to sea.

We saw a lot of whales on the cruise, but it is hard to photograph them. My reaction times were too slow.  I did get this pic of a humpback going into a deep dive.

Now I'm up in far Northern California.  This is the Founders Tree in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.  This is where the big kahuna redwoods live!  This tree is 346 feet tall.

Another massive redwood near the Founders Tree.  Strolling the groves is, well, like being in a natural heaven.  It's magical and majestic.  I feel tranquility and awe.  It was surprisingly warm on this day....around 78 here, and 86 in the groves near Miranda.  About as hot as I've ever seen it in the big redwoods.

At one time, the Dyerville Giant was measured at 362 feet in height.  It was arguably the tallest tree on the planet.  Then, on March 24, 1991, during the lone wet month in a winter of drought, a big storm toppled it.  It lies close to the Founders Tree, just beginning its career as a nurse log.  For the next five centuries or so, the fallen giant will nurture growth of ferns and trees on its trunk, and slowly contribute nutrients to the soil as it decays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home