Sunday, September 01, 2013

Soggy Washington Coast

On a rainy morning last week I transited the coast from Forks WA to Manzanita OR.  Rain fell most of the way, but a quiet beauty prevailed in most areas.  This was especially true in Olympic National Park.  After visiting the mountain and rainforest parts of the park during the previous two days, I stopped in at the coastal strip.  Put on my parka and went for a stroll in the rain...best rain I'd seen since March!  This is at Ruby Beach.  I've visited here before.  It features a mixture of sea stacks, forest, sand, rocks, lagoons. and surf.  Quite an interesting place.

Just point your camera at the ground and you'll get a fine abstract rock mosaic.

Driftwood abounds on the beaches of Olympic.  Winter storms here are serious.  Even on this day, in late August, rain was pounding and gusts to 30 mph were buffeting my car.  But that's nothing compared to a winter storm.
 

Blow uup this pic to see the rain falling in the lagoon.  Nice clean lines on this pic.  Gray is the color of the Pacific Northwest coast.  Viewed for months on end, it's depressing to some; but seen on a day now and then, to me it projects serenity.

The surf wasn't heavy on this day...no logs washed up into the foreshore grasses.  The land looming at the edge of the picture, far offshore, is named appropriately; Destruction Island.

Farther south, in South Bend WA, I came upon the Pacific county courthouse, built in 1910.  A few of the windows on the upper floor are being replaced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home