Tuesday, September 20, 2011

High Plains Drifting

Yesterday, I drove across the High Plains from Goodland, KS to Denver.  Though I'd passed through Goodland several times, I''d never really had a look around, so this time I did.  Goodland does have a skyline; here it is.

There's even a NWS forecast office in Goodland.  It's in an uncongested area. 

Downtown Goodland turns out to be rather cool.  The streets are paved with red brick, adding a retro vibe to the scene.

And talk about retro chic!  The telephone building, constructed in 1931, is an Art Deco classic.  Who knew??

This is one of the few remnants of virgin shortgrass prairie in Colorado, in Bonny Lake State Park. 

The roads of the high plains stretch to the horizon.  I loved the sense of openness and vastness I felt when driving across the prairies. 

This observation tower in Genoa, Colorado has been around since 1926.  It's kind of a rundown, touron schlock place.  It is claimed you can see six states from the top.  I don't know about that, but you do get your first good look at Pikes Peak from here.  After driving westward for a week, that scene was significant.

1 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Yeah! Goodland. I lived there for 2.5 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home