Thursday, March 27, 2008

Desert Blooms to da Max!




I read on the internet that there were good spring flowers blooming near Bartlett Lake, in the hills about 30 miles north of Phoenix. Uh, yeah! I have rarely seen flowers as profuse as they were near the lake, especially in a non-El Nino year!






Somehow flowers in the desert are just more awesome than elsewhere. You think ahead to say, August and September, when the landscape is roasted and bone dry after months of 100 degree plus heat; then compare it to this! Blowing the pic up makes the color even more dramatic.









Near the lake I found large fields of poppies, both yellow and white. I haven't seen the white ones in many places. There were also lupines, owls clover, goldfields, and several other species whose names I don't know. It was common to find 5 or 6 different types of flowers within a few square metres.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home