Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Return to the Hermit


Long ago, about 1984, The Old Sloat and a couple of his friends backpacked the Hermit Trail. We hiked all the way down to the Colorado River, camped for two nights, then hiked back up. It was a wonderful trip; I immersed myself in the canyon in a way you cannot do from the rim. Even then, 23 years and 60 pounds ago, it was a very challenging excursion. Now, no way! However, the Venerable Pinniped has been exercising more since he retired, so last Sunday Steve Anderson (pictured here) and I hiked the first 1 1/2 miles and 1250 feet elevation loss/gain into Hermit canyon. (the full hike is about 8 miles one way and 4500 feet!) It was very peaceful...only a few people about, and both of us enjoyed escaping the throngs around Grand Canyon Village. We made it OK, but I sure couldn't repeat the '84 trip! Maybe if I lost about half of those 60 pounds....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home