Saturday, August 18, 2007

American Outback


Yesterday I drove the Extraterrestrial Highway across south central Nevada, bound for Tonopah.

It goes across country about as empty as it gets in the lower 48. In 100 miles there is one (1) tiny town; one (1) mom 'n pop gas station which I'm not sure was open; a few farms; and several billion sagebrush plants. Basically, there ain't nothin'. The wind was relentless across the highway; here it's raising dust from a dry lake bed. In the 100 miles I encountered perhaps 15-20 other cars, most traveling in two vehicle convoys. This is probably not a bad idea considering the ultra-isolation of the area. It did remind me of the Australian outback. Incidentially, I should update the intro at the top of the blog. I have now visited Tonopah (bleak and godforsaken but with friendly people) and Portland Maine (very nice in September but I wouldn't want to be there in the winter).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home