Thursday, October 19, 2006

Ex-Monterey forecaster reunion


As is appropriate in Charleston, where everyone except Rhett Butler is social (he was not received in Charleston society) The Old Sloat has been social here. We've had a meeting of folks from several weather offices, from coast to coast! From left to right, we have The Old Sloat, ex- Monterey: Wendy, ex-Monterey, now Charleston: Shawn, ex-Monterey, now Portland OR; Scott, ex-Monterey, now Newport NC; and Bob, Wendy's colleague in Charleston. All four of us ex-Monterey people have bailed in the past year, and here we are getting back together in Charleston, of all places! For the past three days we and a number of other local weather folks have wined, dined, boozed, dined, skulled beer, and dined. It's been fun! Rhett should have been so lucky.

Tonight I'm kicking back by myself watching game 7 of the NLCS and it's nice to relax, but I guess we should be partying some more. I thought I reserved an ordinary motel room at the Best Western here, but they put me in a suite! It's in one of the old, long Charleston buildings so there's a large kitchen, then a spacious living room with a bar and fireplace, then a nice bedroom, all in a row. Very luxurious!

This is my second visit to Charleston; the first was in 1999, and each time I have really gotten into the city and really enjoyed it. It's a distinctive place, like San Francisco, Vancouver BC, Sydney, London; it's smaller than those other cities, but equally unique and attractive. One of my places! It's beautiful, historical, and there's a lot of great restaurants. It rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home